Sunday, February 14, 2010

Parkour

I had mentioned this in an earlier post, just offhand. But I thought it noteworthy that at that time, I actually did start practicing Parkour. I researched it fully, like most things, to see what I was getting into and found that it was a whole world, so much more appropriate for me than I thought. I am constantly amazed when I feel that I am pressing through the dense jungle and finally break out into a clearing, only to find, it is inhabited by man other wanderers who came in by their own paths. I had tried martial arts. I had been intrigued by the whole-being aspect, particularly, aikido. But I was put off by the phony pomp and order. Why do I need those floppy black pants? Sweats work just as well, and when will I ever walk around in hakama anyway? Better to train as I will live! and the master-student paradigm put me off. There are many bad masters. Finally, was the cost. Granted, people need to make a living, but I feel these things should be accessible. So many schools are so costly! But in Parkour, I have found all the aspects I craved without the negatives. And even a few new aspects that fit me so well.

So what is Parkour? I get that all the time when I mention it to people. And I am far from expert. But this is what I have discovered. It was started about 20 years ago by David Belle in France. It takes the principles of the Natural Method of physical training and Hebertism, which use natural human movements to create a lithe physicality similar to what develops in native tribal people. You might have seen this physical training style in military commando training, obstacle courses, etc.

Parkour uses these principles of physical training, combined with a philosophy of freedom, (freedom of movement, expression, of thought) to create a discipline that functions very much like a martial art. In keeping with its philosophy and hiphop/punk roots, there are no masters, there are no ranks. It requires no equipment...in fact the less the better, some even shed shoes. It is an individual discipline, though people often practice in groups. The discipline was further refined when it started gaining popularity. As with any new sport, styles began to diverge as people put their own emphasis and spin on it. Soon merchandising became involved and there was talk of officializing the sport, much like skateboarding and snowboarding. That was when David Belle and other practitioners made a conscious distinction between Parkour and other schools, now known as Free-running, L'art du Deplacement, and others.

Parkour is about efficient movement. Traceurs, as practitioners are called, focus on moving efficiently, so as to gain ground toward or away from someone. They strive for personal improvement and freedom. Strive to overcome obstacles in every area of their life. And they must use their skills to aid others by helping to train others or by using them in real rescue situations. There are no formal schools. There are no leagues. There are no official anythings. We learn from each other, using the internet and personal contact. It is a whole-being discipline. There's nothing wrong with doing tricks and acrobatics. They can be incorporated into someone's style, but they are not Parkour.

Experientially, I have found this gruelling. My body has changed and muscles have begun developing in places that I didn't know they could. The workouts are not formalized. It's more like playing. A lot of it is about conquering my own mind, my own inhibitions. Everywhere becomes an opportunity for training. Best of all, I love the flow. I love the freedom of moving and feeling my mind focus in crystal clarity as my muscles work in precision. I love being able to find myself hitting a ten foot ceiling when I jump, running up and over a 10 foot wall, climbing a rope that seemed insurmountable. Even traversing a 10 foot high beam!

I have largely been in the conditioning phases so far. I mean that I physically couldn't do many of the required movements. But now I am slowly starting to discover the flow, the combinations. I'm not leaping across buildings and scaling rock faces, but this is a personal progression. One can start where one is and move forward.

Parkour has struck many chords in me and I feel that I have found a discipline that I will pursue all my life. Who knew that while I was dreaming of Tarzan and unable to abide unnecessary rules and orders, hating the money-making machine that absorbs and runs everything, loving wild raucous music, and studying natural philosophy, that there were others moving toward that same place. I am a Traceur, even if only an infant.

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you talked about entering worlds and how you would find people who had come in by another path. That worlds metaphor works very well for me. Also, I like how you compared parkour to a martial art. I love the way you discuss movement here. Thanks for sharing a little history too.

    ReplyDelete