Saturday, October 17, 2009

Funerals

I hate funerals. Actually it isn't funerals I hate, it's all the stuff that goes on at them. The concept of saying goodbye, laying to rest, praying for the soul...all of that I not only understand, but think is valuable. But then there's the false niceties, the put-on somberness, the forced sense of decorum. But lest I sound callous, let me explain.

Everyone grieves differently: some people sob openly, some get quiet, some get angry, some get silly, some even dodge the issue altogether. The problem is that when people are uncomfortable and emotions are high, as they are at funerals, they tend to take things too seriously or too personally. Considering that I don't tend to view things like most people, I don't tend to act like most people. I'm not saying I'm better...just different. As a good friend recently pointed out, I've been weird all my life, and always will be. I now recognize it as a gift from God. But it comes with the price of being often misunderstood. Nevertheless, at a funeral, eventually someone will think that I'm not acting properly, be that not grieving as they feel I should or committing some offense against the observer directly, and of course they will feel this must be dealt with. Or if I happen to be among one of those 'not out in the open' families, they will go about whispering or glaring or some other passive-aggressivity.

So no matter how hard I try, funerals rarely go well for me. If I grieve as fits me, people get offended. If I try to avoid that, I spend the whole time awkward and uncomfortable...which also draws attention. I just want to be left to process things in my own way!

I think the root of the issue is in my understanding of things. See, I actually believe that a soul lives on after death. So, as Bunyan said it, for people of faith, death is simply crossing the river they've lived beside for many years. It means the end of suffering, the end of temproal concerns. For many, this is a relief. I also believe that souls are outside of our space-time dynamic, so I don't have to be present for them to know my concerns or benefit from my prayers. They are far more aware of what I'm doing and thinking than any of us in this world.

So, it's hard for me to feel the same things that many people do at funerals. I recognize that those close to the deceased may be in pain, and I would never intentionally do or say anything to belittle that, but I can't pretend that things aren't as I believe they are.

So when I die, pray that God will welcome me. That I will pass through the fire without much loss, and that what is perishible will be quickly consumed. Rejoice for me that I am no longer the selfish, angry, anxious jerk that I fought so hard not to be in this world. And let each person process those facts as they see fit. Don't dare be offended if they sing, celebrate, cry, or wail.

3 comments:

  1. I feel quite the same. For me grieving when it really comes, comes in flashes of deep awareness of what the other means to me. It comes sometimes quite by surprise, maybe years after the loved one crosses Bunyan's river. Sometimes I feel that my grieving takes place even before actual death. I feel like I might be mourning the loss of some long before their appointed time. Perhaps that is part of the space/time oddity that we feel as Christians exists since we are incorporated into a transcendent order. Also, I am convinced beyond all doubt that the dead are with us here and now. I'm not saying that each soul is present in the same way. Some may have also departed to everlasting punishment. However, I do believe that certain people are more present to me now than when living. Thanks for this meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel very close to the dead, especially those that have joined the communion of saints. I don't even feel a need to travel to the place of their death or to say goodby, because like Obiwan, they are now closer and more present to me. Much of my grieving involves talking to the dead person in a sort of prayerful way through the Spirit and resolving anything unsaid.

    ReplyDelete