Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Faith

I have been reading Martin Luther...finally. How much we miss by not diving and slowly swimming through these deep seas that support our small lakes of circumstance and experience. Waters upon waters. I know how this works, being an environmetnal scientist. A natural column of water is not uniform, but changes as one descends. Deep oceans can even harbor unique ecosystems in various levels with minimal interaction between levels.

Anyway, I am constantly struck by points which force me to stop and consider more thoroughly. The most recent is faith. I have often considered this. What is faith? The answer is as usual, so simple it elludes us. I have even done a thorough study of every instance of the word in the Gospels and it bears this out.

So now, so simple, and yet another dimension has occured to me from Luther. What is faith? It is simple trust. Trust in the sense of confidence. Even in the financial, business sense. Luther tells me that faith is thus:

The law, precepts, are provided to convict. They are so strict that no one can comply. We often dumb them down to a manageable level through interpretation because we recognize the futility of accomplishing them. All covet. All hate. All dishonor. All lust. None of us can help ourselves. And the law is clear that no violation will escape. No sliding scale. It is final. Therefore, the law does not provide a means of salvation or hope, but of condemnation and despair. If we honestly look at the extensive detail of the precepts and compare our lives, we are quite frankly screwed. What to do? We cannot help ourselves. Sentence is passed, effective date is set. Upon death, the sentence takes effect.

So into that world steps someone who says, "I fulfill the requirements of the law and you are pardoned." But are we? Who is this person? By what authority does he speak? We can weigh the evidence, and it is substantial. But we can't step over the sentence date to verify. Ultimately, we will be faced with the choice. Is this accurate? Do I trust this person to (1) have the authority/means, (2) to follow through with the promise. What else can I do. I cannot save myself, but if I will trust that this person can and will do as he says, I am free. I won't know until after the reprieve.

This is faith. Those with little of it may find themselves freed, but only after a life of despair and fear; escaping as one through the flames. But those who take their benefactor at his word find that he is increasingly proven to be true.

As I type, hundreds of references and connections are racing through my mind like Paul Atreides watching the lines of destiny and time. This fits incredibly well with what Paul, and Peter, and Jesus, and the entire Bible say.

Why like this? So that all begins and ends with God himself. There is nothing for us to do, but comply. I wager that the entire universe and human history is one big conglomeration of metaphors designed to rectify the one sin...the only real root of all sin...the unholy "I"...pride.

Check my accounts. I invite you to point out where I may be wrong. Truth is refined through debate and criticism. Just approach it honestly.

No comments:

Post a Comment