Saturday, August 15, 2009

DIY

I've referenced this in other posts. It means Do It Yourself. Lots of people enjoy DIY, but for others it is a lifestyle. One of the tennants of punk ideology (yes there is such a thing) is DIY.

It suits me well. I prefer to do things myself. I get to learn new skills, see what I'm capable of, and make it just the way I like. I also become more and more self-sufficient with each new attempt. Though I know I'll never be fully self-sufficient. No one can be. It's more of a process of bettering myself. Lifelong learning, you might say.

Another important part of DIY is maker's knowledge. I know just how thick my walls are, and what's behind them. I understand how the floor is assembled. How the water moves into my house and out, and I understand exactly where and how much a seam needs to be wider or tighter to fit my body comfortably in a shirt or pants. Heck, I can even make shoes and books! I'm not bragging, only explaining how doing things myself helps me understand the intricacies, or simplicities of things. Some things are far harder to complete. Others far simpler. This is handy knowledge too. Just imagine.

But perhaps the best thing about DIY is the accomplishment. Something tangible has been done by my own hands. It is an expression of myself. Each is a unique piece of craftsmanship. From the t-shirts that say exactly what I want them to, instead of having to mold myself to the quips and images in the store, to the table that is precisely the right shape, size, color, and style instead of having to pay exorbitant amounts for something that won't really be what I was looking for.

In our mass-produced culture, we lose touch with reality as things just appear for us. If we need it, we go to the store...it is at best only a vague mental note that the stuff was designed and made by someone...even if it was reproduced 10 trillion times. Even in this culture, we can reclaim what it means to be a craftsman. To make something from our hearts with our hands is a great joy. And if those things are practical and useful, how much more joy is there in that!

2 comments:

  1. I just gutted my kitchen and am rebuilding it. Now I know it much more intimately too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this entry and also what you said about knowing your kitchen more intimately. The more we engage our own things, make our own worlds, the less passive we become. I like that you chose the active instead of the passive way of being.

    ReplyDelete