Saturday, July 16, 2011

Endless walls

This week I tackled a huge renovation. Replacing a bathtub. It's the last major interior renovation we need to do in my house. I've never done a bathtub and I hate tackling any major project without knowing what to do.

Every step of the way we've moved a little and ground to a halt as we puzzled over how to make the next step. First the tub drain broke off in the tub, pinning it to the ground. Then the tub wouldn't come out. Then the drain wouldn't match the new one. Then the tub spout needed to be moved. Then the surround wouldn't fit. Now the valve needs to be moved as well. It's a major train wreck that I can't solve except by moving forward. I feel like I've been chipping through brick walls only to find another wall 4 feet beyond, and another, and another. I hate it. I'm mentally exhausted.

For every problem there is usually a simple and elegant solution. Especially in the trades. The problem is, those tricks are often carefully guarded. They certainly aren't publicized. You really have to dig to find them out. I ought to be used to this though. It seems the same with everything I try to learn myself. Bikes, boats, computers. Why are these things so difficult to learn? No not to learn, but to find useful information on. To find teachers and help. Even the products don't contain the info you need to install them, or to even know if that is the right product. The crucial issue with a tub after size, is where the drain is located, yet none of the tubs I looked at said at all where it was positioned other than 'right' or 'left'.

I've talked to several people about tubs and they all say the same thing, "Yup, s'hard. I hated doin' it." But that is not helpful at all. You know what would be? Something more like this, "yeah, those are a pain, here's what I learned..." or "Watch out for this or that." Today a plumber that I had to call in gave me a simple and easy solution for a problem I had three days ago! I was looking for that and found not one reference to it! Instead I beat at it like a raging gorilla until it gave in!

Once I get done with this endless, vastly more difficult and expensive project, you can bet that I will be far more expressive about the challenges, tips, and pitfalls if anyone mentions it to me.

3 comments:

  1. Update! I finally got the first couple of pieces of the surround in, only to find that the handle for the shower control was too far back...or rather the surround bent out from the original wall location. so I waited two days to order a specialty recessed escutcheon, which fit perfectly...But this time, the escutcheon hits another curve in these stupid walls. So Wednesday I ripped the whole thing down, took the tub back, will sell the walls on some website (since I cut the holes already). Today I bought another tub that does not require fancy clip-in walls. I also got the manufacturer's specs for the drain location first, and found out a neat trick to mount it. Then I'll use good ol' concrete backer board and ceramic tile! All of which I already know how to do! Arg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The saga continues. The tub we bought was spec'd at the right dimensions but turned out to be a quarter inch too wider. That 1/4 is huge in this kind of installation. To make it worse, fiberglass tubs come with a front flange that is just as wide, meaning I have to plane down the entire stud and everything the flange has to slide past. Almost took that tub back to try yet another styrene model. But it felt flimsy. So planed the walls. Got the tub hooked up. Still needed flexible connection. Now I just have to secure it to the wall, which I will do after I wet-test, which I will do after the sealant in the drain dries. Then it's walls and tile. Drudge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tub, in, walls up. Adding tile today...and tomorrow. Then it's grouting, caulking and sealing. Only about two more weeks to go! I am so sick of this, but at least we're making progress. If I ever build my own house, it will have a free standing tub and exposed plumbing.

    ReplyDelete