Friday, December 3, 2010

De Facto

I have been sitting in a conference for three days. It always gives me lots of time to think as my mind wanders through the uninteresting portions. Truthfully, I don't find that I get much out of long days listening to people talk. In this age of internet and electronic communication, I find it an antiquated and inefficient system of communicating used mostly to give people an opportunity for free travel. I love webinars, etc. because I can take them at my own pace and even accomplish other things while not having to be trapped in a big room full of people with varying and questionable levels of humor, health, and hygiene.

But I digress. While sitting there listening to various topics, many of which covered a particularly political aspect of my work, namely new controversial regulations, it hit me that the feelings I was having were not unlike watching TV news. I felt alarmed, a bit angry, disillusioned, like I wanted to react and fight a fight, yet powerless to do so. That's when I realized that I was being sucked into the all too common fallacies of hasty generalization, appeals to fear, popularity, and authority. Being confronted with a crush of information about a certain topic from a limited viewpoint by seemingly authoritative figures, assented by the surrounding majority, and which is perceived to be a bad thing, I jump on the bandwagon when in fact, it may not happen, the info may not be accurate, it may not be so bad, and it may not affect me anyway.

Once I realized this, I felt a weight lift. That helped me to think more clearly and even recognize some very presumptive aspects of the argument. I expressed these to a nearby colleague and was not outright dismissed, but got the feeling he wasn't in total agreement. I'm not surprised. He may come around after thinking it through, but most others won't be able to let go of their preconceived ideas enough to see from outside the issue. But that too is a deeper level of the fallacious thinking. Fighting to make them understand even their own fallacies is still a distraction from my purpose.

This has implications for many parts of my life. Fear is a great weapon and together with lies forms the double-edged sword which negative forces use against us. Perhaps their only weapon. That is why we are so encouraged to have faith and not to fear. Possibly more than any other encouragement in the Bible. So how is false fear about a work problem a spiritual issue? It distracts me from what is important. While I have my role to play at work, above that is that same role from the perspective of the Regnum Caelorum, and beyond that even is my work as a servant of my God. This fear appeals to the first two levels and draws me away from what is truly my work.

If I ever want to live free like my regenerated substance allows, I must ever be at my God's disposal. And I mean that in the fullest sense: not just available for his work, but fully dependent on him in real ways...Like all unfallen beings, animals most familiarly, we are called to depend fully on him in our fullest state. Neither sowing nor reaping nor planning, but fully dependent on him. I'm not ready for this, I can assure you. I'm not even sure it's possible in this world. But this is the ideal. This was the state in Eden and will be the state when our new being is fully manifest.

As it goes now, I must focus on what is in front of me at the moment and leave the decisions to him. He will make them known. Truthfully, he even spoke to me despite the throes of fallacious mind I was engaged in. I was so bored at one point that I flicked over to the e-reader on my handheld and ran across Practice of the Presence just where Brother Lawrence was describing this aspect of work. It wasn't just then that this was all revealed, but it primed the lock and a day later all the tumblers had clicked into place.

It's hard to swallow, I know. It goes against my early spiritual training. It flies in the face of our cultural voice. But it is true. Of course I should do my best at everything, as if unto the Lord. But that's just it. I mustn't be distracted into activity which I am not asked to accomplish and which I probably can't change anyway. We all want to be the hero. All the posters tell us that we are the what-if waiting to change the world. But most real heroes attest to being simply there at the moment. NOT having planned it. Having done their deeds in spite of themselves. If I am to be the hero, I will be. But it will be God's spirit acting in me when it occurs and not my wit, perseverance, and ingenuity. These are merely tools that must be powered and operated by the maker, not operating on their own.

Even now, my insides are screaming that this must be qualified. Someone might get the wrong idea, I might delude myself. But I will not change it. It stands against that voice as something I know to be true.

What matters in each moment is what is concretely in front of me to accomplish. Be that smile, lighten a mood, lick a stamp, listen to a personal problem, craft a policy, or make a perspective known...in that moment, in that place. As I step away into what-ifs and what-to-dos I step increasingly further from that purpose.

Does that open the door for gaps in efficiency, function, policy? Yes. But this is where faith comes in. I must believe that God will fill those gaps in his way...and in my experience this is usually at the last minute for many reasons which I won't go into here. But I know that he won't if I keep jumping in like the micromanager.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know how well this will relate but it made me think of my own bouts with fear and the sort of conspiratorial group mind that the news provides for us. I finally realized that life goes on pretty much as normal even with horrible things happening in the world. In fact, horrible things have always been happening, along with random good works, and even orchestrated good works. I had this revelation that even in the darkest points of history there were children being raised who had no inborn fears and only began to absorb the cultural fears as they grew into late childhood. I realized that even near a deathcamp daisies spring up and grew, breezes blew and the sun rose. I'm not erasing history or the present by acknolwedging such trifles. I'm just denying that they ARE trifles and I'm acknowledging that life is much more than just the dark pocket of history you are in or you perceive yourself to be in. I quit watching the tv years ago and I dare say that my life has been the better off for it. I still see the news headlines on a magazine rack or read articles or see videos online, but I also have learned that I don't have to connect the dots under the supervision of pundits, journalists or government officials. I still have fear. Don't get me wrong. But my fear now is the fear of what can actually happen to me short term. In that sense it is brief and often unwarranted. I make a purpose of mind each day to go forth into life on a fresh path. I try to recognize and dismantle patterns and paths that pull me down. I seek the surprise and freedom of the light path, the quiet stoll or the unread book. I take solace in those and leave the rest to those cultivating a heavy heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said Bill. In our natural state we would gather what we need to meet our needs in the moment with very little in the way of foresight or planning. Some, but only in so far as preparing for the seasons, etc. We would live in God's hand, knowing that he would provide or we would die...either way at his will and accepting either. And I couldn't agree more that the small goodnesses are not small at all. Nor are the big fears really big. Brother Lawrence said that he was not surprised or alarmed at news of evils because, knowing the evil humans were capable of, he was surprised it was not worse. And that he was fully confident that God could right any wrong in any instant he chose, so there was no point worrying about what God allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just want to train myself to think like this more and help others to see it as well. I think this is why praying without ceasing is so important. That and getting out in nature where our bodies/souls are healed in the most profound ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that I am a different person in nature. The reason is that what I fear is not there. I am comfortable there because I understand it and the dangers make sense. What I fear is people. People are irrational. I don't understand them and sometimes there is nothing to understand. Senseless acts, careless acts, evil acts. These are not found in nature and they increase the further we are separated from it. Even the view of trees through a window has been proven to have a profound psychological impact. It's been documented.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true. I could almost seeing people passing through a nature worship type stage on the way to reclaiming a healthy balanced view of the universe. I'm not saying that nature worship is an end in itself but could be one step in the right direction if it proceeds to a greater end.

    ReplyDelete