Friday, October 1, 2010

Something Happened

OK, so things always happen. But I mean a particular something pertinent to what I last wrote about. I don't believe by a long shot that it is all that will happen related to that. and of course the high from it has worn off significantly that I can write about it in a somewhat collected fashion.

Basically, I finally decided to listen to a prodding voice inside. The kind of thing I try often not to listen to. But this time I just did it. I was supported by some I know and a few I don't know, but what resulted was nothing short of absolute confirmation of the Contemplative belief that God is always speaking. Confirmation that many of the things he says in the Bible are true.

And to take the mystery out, I am not going to say exactly what it was that I did because it is far too personal to me and to the others involved. If you were party to it, then you already know and if you weren't then the details are not important. If that isn't good enough for you, then you're just being nosy.

Anyway, I first had an overwhelming preoccupation about this particular social issue. Then because of turns of events, the issue became a more acute problem. And I was unable to let it go. I consulted some trusted people and got some very good feedback. I prayed a lot, and I listened for an answer. Then the solution popped into my mind and I took it for one of my usual crazy notions...my attempts to work out a plan to get where God was showing rather than waiting to see how he got me there.

I'll take a sidebar here because I'm not sure if everyone experiences this. It is common for God to show me where I am headed in a general sort of longer distance view. But the details are not usually clear. That's where the trust comes in.

Anyway, I ignored it, but the nagging ache wouldn't let up. At the same time, that convergence feeling continued. Other people who were unrelated to the issue spoke to it in that weird way that God has of orchestrating the universe. and finally I decided to do it. So I committed myself in a way that I couldn't back away from easily. I tried to rehearse things in my mind to be prepared, but nothing would stick, so I left it that God would have to give me the words. On the way to the appointed time, someone came to me and said that he had been told to pray for me and was. I realized that he was yet more support converging. I told him I understood why, but I would tell him after, further committing myself still.

At the appointed time, I dug my will in and made the leap. I was there fully exposed waiting, and not a half second later the other person began to cry. I thought it was over, but then she explained that she had been asking God for this for so long and why. Wow!

Problem solved. Issue resolved. And other problems I knew nothing about resolved because of it. I have thought this over since and have remembered times when I was not so afraid to step out like that. But now that is reconfirmed. I will listen to those voices from now on. I will try my very best not to get on a trip about it and start going off half-cocked. I think I am circumspect enough for that at this stage in my life. But I will not ever doubt again that God will not forsake his own. That he orders the very universe to coincide when he gives us a job to do. The seas will part, the sky will split, and opposition will melt.

When he commands, all we have to do is jump and run. He truly goes before and behind and opens the way.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, he does go before and behind. He makes a way where there is no way. I'm going to do something I rarely do and post a bible verse:

    Then Jonathan said to the young man who was carrying his armor, "Come and let us cross over to the garrison of these uncircumcised; perhaps the LORD will work for us, for the LORD is not restrained to save by many or by few."

    1 Samuel 14:6

    ReplyDelete
  2. They took the step. They knew it could be death or torture. But they killed 20 men and began a route of the whole army. That kind of masculine, radical faith is what I want. I also know it's a gift. I can't work or train for it. I also note that the only thing separating it from lunacy is the outcome. Am I willing to lose all? Really? That's what it comes down to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. According to Wendell Berry, redemption is not thinkable apart from the possibility of ultimate loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard that before. Usually, I've taken it in a more theological sense to mean that the redemptive act is meaningless if there weren't an actual possibility of an alternative. But in this light, it's a much more personal abandonment without which can we truly know the depth of what it means to be redeemed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked for his actual quote but could not locate it. But I'm sure he meant it in the sense of all of life.

    ReplyDelete